Comparison with conventional dielectric systems
While Dielectric Analysis (DEA) is considered from the scientific point of view as the most matured technology to be used for cure monitoring, Synthesites’ unique DC monitoring technology (Optimold) has taken this technology many steps ahead, offering quite significant advantages over the classic DEA/AC technology (which applies a series of different frequencies AC voltage to the sensor's electrodes):
• DEA/AC systems require significant data processing before providing meaningful results while Optimold provides instantly the electrical resistance and temperature of the resin.
• In general DEA/AC systems are using multiplexing to deal with multiple sensors while Optimold deals only with a single sensor. In this way, speed and accuracy are ensured without compromises.
• DEA/AC requires sensor and cable calibration before each measurement session while Optimold can handle directly any sensor with any cable length.
• Synthesites’ DC monitoring technology is combined with the widest and range of proprietary sensors ensuring the optimal sensor and best measuring quality for each application.
• DEA/AC technology is mainly for laboratory use with trained staff while our products are primarily focused in industrial applications and conditions but can also readily used in the laboratory.
• Synthesites offer the only reliable technology for the real-time Degree of cure and Tg-monitoring in CFRP production (prooved at industrial conditions). Most AC-DEA systems provide just dielectric measurements while a few claim that they provide Tg. Synthesites is the only one that is in the position to provide scientific proofs.
• Without having to measure electrical properties at a wide frequency range, Optimold can monitor the full cure cycle of the minute-cure epoxy and polyurethane resins.
• In CFRP production, as DC sensing is active only at the surface of the part only a very thin glass-fibre veil is necessary to avoid direct contact of the sensing element with carbon fibres or copper mesh. DEA/AC sensors are much more vulnerable to Carbon Fibres and thick glass-fibre protection is often necessary.
•Last but not least, our DC technology is not affected by lengthy cables so the installation even in large autoclaves is not a problem (we manufactured ourselves all the appropriate cabling from outside to inside the autoclave).
Our DC-based flow monitoring system (Optiflow) offers the only dedicated system for reliable resin arrival and temperature monitoring.
• Optiflow system checks and ensures continuously the connection between the monitoring system and the sensors.
• Optiflow provides directly resin arrival time-stamp for each sensor
• Optiflow offers an inherent environment for process automation solutions
• A large range of sensors can be combined with Optiflow
• Optiflow can handle infinite number of sensors